Thursday, December 11, 2008

Random thoughts ...Simply having a wonderful Christmas Time, harlem on my mind (picture blog)

Well our crib is begining to catch the holiday season look and im happy

Today I was trying to catch up on my blogging and reading of blogs. celebrations have been heavy this month. Drinking and laughter and just catching up with people that we slide apart during the fall. far as im concerned they should really contact me after the gift giving season. Is their a gimmick here or what????

During my blogging I went to you tube and looked up various artist as i was oddly thinking of my great grandmother Queen Esther Perry isnt last years retreat at schroon lake, NY)that a mouthful of name? She fully believed in using the whole thing. She was a old school Harlem New York girl with a story for every occasion. She passed at age 98 . She donated boxes of pictures to the Shomberg libary here in Harlem, New York. Ironically, I ran across boxes of pictures where our Christmas tree was and we still have several boxes. me and Gabe looked at a few and decided we would donate them to the Shomberg libary because they are of the old New York. The el line is gone the old 125th street. Club after club ( she was a singing waitress in the 1930s at a club called "mexicos and a few other night club pics I ran across) fasinating. Ive included a pic or two in this blog but will problly scan the bulk sometime in (photo taken around 1948,49 in front of the orginal st. pauls baptist church, harlem. Rev. booker and his wife cora orginally from new port news, my mothers photo collection)2009 and post them. They are phenominal to look at life from the 1930s to the 1970s after that she was to old to photograph but boy oh boy what a brownie camerea could do!

Tomorrow Ill be in Harlem ill meet my peeps on 125th and park as we have some things to do. But I may take a few pics depending on the weather. Everything in Harlem is gone! The rusty ass Apollo is still there but its magic is just no more. They have financialy raped that damn place.

I remember a story my Great Grands told me when she lived in Harlem The Apollo Theater it was a irish Burlesque house. I think The owners use to own the Harlem Opera House (photo from the internet of harlem opera house)which is long gone. They then bought the Apollo so the Apollo as we know it has only been around since the 1930s. I rarely go there anymore. Its too expensive and too damn raggedy. Patti labelle and the bluebells are booked their this month Im no Patti fan but some of my friends love her to death. They get so sissified when you just say her name. i think she is like a demi god to gays over 40. She sings nice but I only heard a few of gher songs. Their was a stigma when I was a kid coming up. If you caught a guy listening to Patti labelle or Diana Ross or melba Moore you just knew they were gay as hell. Thats foolish of course but thats how it was.

The lafayette Theater was the other member of the big three in Harlem it is now an Episcopalian church. They still dance their tho to the glory of God i guess. Im just glad they didnt tear it down. History is what makes our future brighter!

The last of the big three was the Cotton Club. I believe they moved a couple of times in the early days i dont know their history well. From what i was told. Blacks only worked their they were not allowed as patrons so I could care the less for the cotton club tho it stands on 125th and 11th Ave.

My parents use to go to the Alahambra ballroom when I was a kid and its still their I think the Masonic lodge owns it now. They have great balls their. I have an Aunt whose lodge is the daughters of the Sahara they throw really beautiful Christmas parties.

My nana was a member of the Elks lounge they throw some parties. She said "humph they drink too much for me!" But we all grew up as Elks. That is a nice memory those parties in Jamacia Queens, NY.

I think this will be a nice end of the year. Im organizing all the popictures i took threw the year for my blogging. I like to take pictures i hope santa brings me a nice Nikon digital camera that would be very nice....

No comments:

TRUE URBAN HAVOC ENTERTAINMENT PRESENTS http://trueurbanehavoc.podOmatic.com