Monday, January 19, 2009

Dr. Martin Luther Kings Birthday

The other day as I was getting on the bus I remember a conversation I heard or had as a child.

The adult I cant remember whom, my mother or someone was saying as the black kids got on the bus and went to the back "damn shame all those people went thru all that shit and kids wanna sit way in the back"

and the other person said something like " well at least its by choice not by force"

I always think of that on Dr. Kings birthday. I try hard to imagine how horrible it must have felt to be treated as a piece of shit.

Water hoses, and all that and thats just so inhumane

Then I remember a story my Grandfather told me They were sharecroppers in the county part of North Carolina near Rocky Mount and there was a man named Otis baker he was like Mulatto or high yellow or something. When he was in town he did or said something and the white men said "well be round to see you tonight Boy" this had to be the 1930s

My papa said that Otis said "You may but the first one come round that bend belongs to me!" There was a bend to get to his place and no one came cuz no one wanted to be the first. Hed tell that story every chance he got. It made him feel good. He also said that when he got to fifth grade the man who owned the farm told his father that boy needs to be workin the farm and they took him outta schol. My grand pa went to night school when he got grown and married mi Nana who was from another country altogether but she valued education greatly. Her father was a school master. That was like a teacher I believe. She had an associates degree thats no big deal now but back in the 40s it was and she worked making Eaton suits. The short suits with bow ties kids wore in the sixties. So he could get his education. Then she worked in the elementry school as a teacher but this was years b4 i come or she even had my mother like the early 50s

After that she never worked but wow love was serious in those days and education was valued. My nana and papi wouldalways say "your job is to learn in school"

When I wanted to drop out of school in 9th grade amazingly they let me. I worked a horrible job at the holiday inn and had to like clean toilets and stuff. at 5am. When pay day came 10 percent had to go intpo saving, I had to pay a portion of the light,oil and telephone id never have crap!Plus, Id always fall asleep and finally I told them I wanted to go back to school. They showed me how hard life would be with no education. They let me smoke ciggrettes too unfortunately that plan backfired! But the school one worked

Dr. Kings picture was in my nanas house as a kid with a little light she had John F. Kenedy too and Jesus one of those old fashion blonde hairs ones lol. It was in the playrooom with a old big Ebony magazine in a frame.

These are things I remember of how my family honored Dr king

My grand parents born 1923 and 1925 grew up in times where it was so hard. When I graduated from college they were so proud, Papi told everybody I didnt think it was a big deal. When I got a good paying job my papi said I can finally go u will be alright son...

We had a collection of Dr Kings speeches on Phonograph records I never listened and wish I had. Ive heard them now but what he stood for equality and his patience is amazing. I could not do it. It takes a special person to forge forward non violently.

Anyone can shoot someone few people can be humble...wow

So thats my thought 4 today....Im so sad for the teens today in prison and doing crazy shit cuz its cool.

I was one of them kids sort of mainly just rebellious and sometimes I myself dont take pause to take what our elders fought for the simple right to vote.

Even tho Obamas campaign got peeps to vote someone should have campaigned years ago. But better late than never....

They didnt teach much black history that I could remember. So kids dont know. The mamas now are so young and the grandmas are kind of young too...I hope things change ..Its a shame that people fought and now no one really cares cept on the holiday

No comments:

TRUE URBAN HAVOC ENTERTAINMENT PRESENTS http://trueurbanehavoc.podOmatic.com